For example over a C7 chord you can play:
- G melodic minor- one tension (#11)
- F melodic minor- one tension (b13)
- Bb melodic minor- two tensions (b9, #9)
- Eb melodic minor- three tensions (#9, #11, b13)
- C# melodic minor- four tensions (b9, #9, #11, b13)
You can order John's book/DVD from Mel Bay.
I'm definately going to sit down with this and learn how John plays those sweeping modern lines of his. There is no one that sounds like John does, YET. Look out John, we're all going to cop your shit now! :-)
Look out soon for the Portland Jazz Jams TV episode on John that I directed and Darren produced. John demonstrates his improvisation techniques. It will be streaming on the PJJ site shortly.