10/11/10

Ronald Caravan's special fingerings for saxophone

With my more advanced students I often use a book called Preliminary Exercises & Etudes In Contemporary Techniques for Saxophone by Ronald Caravan. This wonderful book covers things like alternate fingerings for timbre variation, quarter-tone fingerings, multi-phonics and singing while playing. There are etudes for each technique.

I especially like the alternate fingerings for timbre variation. Working with these alternate fingerings can give you many different options for shading the same note and also for slight pitch adjustments. Below is a page from that chapter. I've also included a link to a PDF of a few pages from the chapter on multi-phonics. I highly recommend this book for every saxophonist.

(click the above graphic for a larger version)


No comments: