10/8/07

Charlie Mariano Tribute site


There isn't a lot of information on the web about Charlie Mariano, one of my favorite alto players of all time. Charlie has resided in Germany for the last few decades, so we don't haven't heard a lot about him over here.

I just found a Mariano tribute site that features a meticulous discography, complete biography, links to CD and concert reviews and some nice pictures.

The Charlie Mariano Tribute Site


Not Quite a Ballad
Blue Stone
Toshiko Mariano Quartet

1 comment:

MonksDream said...

I always liked Charlie Mariano's playing on some Mingus albums I've listened to over the years. Have you heard the Elvin Jones "Dear John C." ? If so, should it be checked out? Mariano always had a lissome tone, and really interesting approaches to melodic lines. I think of him in the same vein as Hank Mobley, Kenny Dorham, Warne Marsh, and er, that's enough.